Tuesday, September 17, 2013

THE BEGINNING!

kristin!

here's my process.

so far, the WATER SONG seems the best for a shadow show/crankie...

what will follow for the next bit, are a series of images... some moving, some still.... some quotes, some drawings... the idea being to create some sort of visual vocabulary or palate...

if you feel inspired-- post your ideas, images, etc!!!




1 comment:

  1. All right, my dear. I'm with you!! Unbelievably inspired. I just got off the plane and got home to my very own desk and fast Internet (things were very iffy in those respects this past week) and I've immediately gone right deep into all of these images, videos, etc.

    I realize I'm going to need to sit with it for a minute more before I'll have anything coherent to say. I understand the question -- about do I want something for a video on the web, or something I could perform live, or some combination. This is an important one, yes.

    This song has actually inspired me to buy a loop pedal! I've got it now. Need to figure out how to use it.Was thinking of setting up the body percussion as a loop so I could then play chords with a little keyboard and sing. The chords are definitely a one-handed sort of thing so in theory I could trigger some kind of visual with a free hand. If that makes sense.

    But I'd say for starters the priority would be making a video that you and I both love that we can just post online as a "music video" (so incorporation into a live performance would come second... but we could have it in the back of our minds).

    SO MANY of these images and ideas are cool that I'm not sure what direction to go. I'm immediately super drawn to war photos at top (even though it's pretty literal... that might could be dialed back if it were a hand rendering not a photo). And the video of the light on the water moving. And the paper cuts for sure.

    The question that comes up for me is "what happens" in the video. It's a song about war, but we don't necessarily just need images of war piling up on each other.

    I was trying to do something with that last verse... not sure how well it comes across, but my idea was something like this: "I feel the wind pushing me around" (as in "I think of the wind as an aggressive force that's out to get me") 'but the wind is just the air when it's falling down" (meaning, air flows from a place of high barometric pressure to a place of low pressure... and in that way the wind is literally created by air "falling down"... so it's not really "trying" to do anything to us... if it's violent it's because it's actually just sort of lazy). I was thinking about the notion that war is something we fall into because at a given moment it might be easier than not going to war, especially for the aggressor.

    So back to the "what happens" question... I see things piling up over the course of the song... birds, boats, artillery, people, whatever it is... gets louder and more numerous and closes in and then perhaps is blown away (by a gun, by the wind... doesn't necessarily matter) and we're left alone. Or with a big empty space. It sort of clears back out to just being water on rocks.

    This is a long rambling at the end of a long day.

    I like it all. Just offering these first impressions and will try to get more focused tomorrow.

    Thanks so much for putting so much work into it already! I'm REALLY inspired!!

    xo
    k

    ReplyDelete